Introduction to Modelling 101: Start to Fail

Mike Rosenthal
My shot on Asia's Next Top Model 2 and I got eliminated.


For those who don't know me, and thank you for reading without even knowing me,
I am Elektra.
I am a young frail trying to achieve my dream - to be an international model.
Coming from Hong Kong, I don't not feel so attached to my hometown and I always wish to go out to see the world and show the world what I have.

That's why I decided to go on a top model journey - Asia's Next Top Model (Cycle 2).
Without an outstanding result, I still carry on striving for what I truly want.
(But to be honest, having made it to top 16 out of more than ten thousand girls (or more?), I can say I am both lucky and deserving.)

As I am writing this blog up, I think I will also realise how to prepare myself to be a truly top model and it can act as my guide during my ups and downs. So I'm not only helping you but myself too.

There are a few sine-qua-non that model hopefuls MUST learn to equip themselves for this glamourous industry and also to take some time to think whether you are really (and ready) for it.

Today's lesson: Start to Fail

Mentality.
A strong mentality is very very important and the far-most essential pre-requisite in modelling.
You have to learn that this industry is full of real competitions and you have to be ready for rejections 24-7.
These are the mot possible scenarios (that actually happened to me).
When you first start off shooting for a contract with a model agency, out of 10 maybe only one sees your potential and is willing to offer you an initial casting. If no one does, keep on trying. And if they are interested in collaborating with you, they may not give you what you hope for - a freelance contract instead of a full-time one.
Things don't happen as you wish all the time. A small step, or a baby step is a good step to start off.
And maybe you're lucky enough to get signed (Congratulations!), the agency might not send you to casting or not as many castings as you expect. The same thing goes to the actual job booking, you don't book jobs all the time unless you're very outstanding and experienced, or you're just simply not the client's looking for.
There are a million reasons for a client not to book you - your looks, your portfolio, your height, your reputation, your race (SAD.) and so on.

And at this point, here comes the identity crisis.
You start doubting yourself whether it's all because you're no good or not as good as others.
You think you're not pretty enough, not skinny enough, not doing catwalk well enough so nobody wants to hire you.
Trust me, I doubt myself all the time and feel depressed about not getting bookings (check my Twitter!).
I really do.

And at times I have reached the breaking point.
I became cynical.

I wanted to Get up, Quit, and Get a white-collar JOB.
Why do I have to be preoccupied about my appearance so I diet so badly, count every single calorie I put in my mouth and workout like a beast, be afraid of being criticised by clients and judged by people who don't know better (especially friends and relatives) because they think modelling isn't a proper job but only for people have no brains or better skills, and more importantly, be worried about not getting bookings and the unstable source of income?
Why do I have to experience all that?

The above is roughly what possibly can be happening on an aspiring model.
I am human. You're human. Models too are human. It's so understandable.
But bear in mind, supermodels, great minds got rejections and were once insecure about themselves too before they became major.
They became successful not because they are gifted, but more importantly, they endured hardship and stuck to what they wanted till the very end.
If modelling is what you really want, be up for the challenges.
Have the mind of a true warrior and be ready to "slay".

Gorgo, the Spatan Queen in the movie The 300.



Let's get some inspirations from Coldplay's What If
Things will work out as long as you persevere!

"......that's right Let's take a breath, jump over the side

......that's right How can you know when you don't even try

......that's right.....You know that darkness always turns into light."

Obviously, if you're lucky, you won't have to deal with the above-mentioned and could kick-start your career like a walk in the park.
However, t's always good to be ready to face failure and have the stamina to get up again.


Something additional to share - I myself am quite an emotional eater.
So when I don't get booking for quite some time, I tend to lose control and will turn to food.
Out of this stupid temporal sentiment!
I would gorge and devour the entire fridge, which obviously leads to weight gain.
And weight gain means I'm less competitive and it means lesser jobs.
No job>Depressed>Eat>Get Fat>Lesser Job>More Depressed>Eat>Get Fatter.............
It goes on like a vicious circle...... (And I'm determined to put an end to it as it does me no good)
But for some unlucky ones, the psychological shock can help develop eating disorders.
(To find out more about ED, check http://www.channel4.com/4viewers/help-support/eatingdisorders)
Take good care of yourself, aka, your body. I will get further into that in the next few posts.

All in all, a strong healthy mind is the first thing required for modelling.
Stay as tough as solid steel - be a Spartan.
Believe in yourself and good news will come after series of rejections.
If you're willing to take all the risks, then good for you! You are still running towards to become a top model.

Till my next post, stay well and stay tuned. :) X

(Last edited 12:59pm 29th Jan 2014, GMT+8)

Comments

  1. I agree with you. Being / Wanting / Dreaming to be a model is not an easy job. Have to have strong heart, mind, body and soul, specially when you get rejected. Specially if you want to enter the company you want and they rejected you. But a strong heart, mind, body and soul person will pursue and try again till get it. Just need to be very strong. I can say that I know where you are coming from because I tried applying some modeling and I get rejected as well. The worst thing is, I don't get any updates after my application XD I want to be a model but only a part time, even just wanting to be part time model can affect me when I get rejected. This article of yours is truly a good one. Good Luck to you on your future projects Elektra :) Keep it up and I know you can do it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting love.
      Me too - I wrote to many model agencies and got no replies (even now! after AsNTM2!)
      I was so discouraged! But I knew that it would happen so I was prepared and didn't affect me too much.
      But then again, the best thing to do is to prove to the people that they're wrong.
      As time goes by, when you know more about this industry/business, you know what the market wants, equip yourself and then you'll succeed.

      Keep your chin up and move on. You'll make it in the end girl. Good luck :) X

      Delete

Post a Comment